AUTHOR: Julia TITLE: New Home for the Sage DATE: 9/30/2008 02:55:00 PM ----- BODY:
I have finally found a good home for the copious amounts of sage coming out of my garden: Rendezvous Restaurant in Central Square.

Chef/Owner Steve Johnson has always been passionate about sourcing local ingredients, and I often run into him at the Monday farmer's market across the street from his restaurant. I intuited that his menu used sage, so when I went there for dinner last week, I brought a gallon ziploc bag of leaves. Thankfully, he uses them in his chicken marinade and could handily use a gallon a week.

Roast Chicken with Chanterelles, Corn and Green Beans

I returned this week with another gallon bag of leaves to discover they are featured on the halibut as well. Last Saturday night, he sold 35 portions... a huge number for the 180 covers for the night.

Sautéed halibut with apple, butternut squash, smoked bacon, sage and cider butter sauce



Labels:

----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Blogger Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) DATE:9/30/2008 11:34:00 PM Well, if you're supplying a restaurant, that makes you a bona fide farmer! ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Blogger Julia DATE:10/01/2008 04:46:00 PM Lydia, That's one of the nicest things you've ever said to me! Thanks so much! ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Blogger melissa DATE:10/01/2008 06:10:00 PM Well Lydia said it far more eloquently, but yes, very very cool to know that your herbs are being served to people in a nice restaurant. That's just a lovely thought. ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Blogger Julia DATE:10/02/2008 09:17:00 AM Thanks Melissa! ----- --------