AUTHOR: Julia TITLE: Training Cucumbers DATE: 9/02/2008 09:11:00 AM ----- BODY:
On my last visit to DC I visited Ed Bruske’s garden. I was particularly keen to meet him since we’d shared so many similar experiences at Even’ Star Farm, though not at the same time. You can read about the pig matanza… part 1 and part 2. I participated too, two years prior. One of these days, I’ll post my story too.

In any case, I was fascinated to see another urban garden. His is impressive in its size but also it’s structure. He has tomato cages that are seven feet high. I could have used those too. And my favorite was how he trained the cucumbers up a trellis. I decided to take this home with me. It worked great to clear up the ground space for my fall plantings, and it also makes it easier to see the cucumbers, and pick them when they’re ready.

Labels: ,

----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Blogger Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) DATE:9/02/2008 04:52:00 PM So nice to see that cucumber vine standing tall and proud! I love some of the innovative space-saving gardening methods used by Chinese gardeners in the South End. Amazing how much they can fit into a small community garden plot. ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Blogger Ed Bruske DATE:9/02/2008 10:18:00 PM So glad you were able to take something useful away from our garden, Julia. Of course in an urban space, anything you can grow up--rather than out--is a plus, and cucumbers are particularly grateful for the opportunity to climb. ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Blogger Julia DATE:9/03/2008 05:21:00 PM Lydia, I bet the "Square Foot Gardener" could take a lesson from them!

Ed, I also took away inspiration to make pickles. I've been trying your recipes all week. More on that later. ----- --------