AUTHOR: Julia TITLE: Capers DATE: 2/25/2009 09:09:00 AM ----- BODY:
I normally buy capers in the big 32 ounce, wide mouth jar. Packed in a salty brine, they last several years. But I usually go through them quicker than that. When I crave chicken picatta or egg salad, I don’t think much about how I’ll get the capers out, I just use a fork.

Last week, I ran out and the only jar I saw at the market was the thin tubular jar. As I reached into the jar, I realized this would take more thought. My fork was too big to fit in. I didn’t want to pour out all the brine. And I didn’t want to strain the brine in a sieve, take the capers and then pour the brine back in.

The solution: a melon baller. The scoop fits perfectly into the jar, grabbing a perfect teaspoon at a time. And the hole in the base, lets the brine drain back into the jar. Problem solved!

Labels:

----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Blogger Grace DATE:2/25/2009 12:34:00 PM nice innovation, and hooray for yet another use for the melon baller/apple corer! :) ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Anonymous Rose's Lime DATE:2/25/2009 04:18:00 PM Brilliant. Funny coincidence... I used mine literally last night to scoop the guts out of baked potatoes to make twice baked potato. And here I thought I was wicked clever. ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Blogger Heather DATE:2/25/2009 08:31:00 PM i really enjoy this post. it kinda cracked me up :) ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Anonymous noble pig DATE:2/25/2009 09:24:00 PM Perfect! ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Anonymous Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) DATE:2/25/2009 09:45:00 PM Inspired! ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Blogger Maris DATE:2/26/2009 11:33:00 AM Very cute idea! I've bought similar jars and come to think of it, I have no idea how I get the capers out! LOL ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Blogger melissa DATE:2/26/2009 02:48:00 PM I love little discoveries like that!

I am totally down to try capers again too. I just need to rinse them next time. ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Blogger Lori Lynn DATE:2/28/2009 03:19:00 PM Clever!

And thanks for visiting my blog!
LL ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Anonymous Anonymous DATE:8/25/2009 01:58:00 PM Thank you! i've been trying for years to get those delicious capers out of the jar with a toothpick....it just didn't do the job. Now i have to find my melon baller ----- --------