AUTHOR: Julia TITLE: The First Harvest: Scallions DATE: 4/22/2009 01:04:00 AM ----- BODY:
It wasn't much, just a few scallion stems. But it was enough to inaugurate the growing season in my garden. And the perfect garnish for dinner tonight.

Claypot Chicken
4 chicken thighs
8 shiitake mushrooms
1 1/2 cup jasmine rice
3 cups water
2 chinese sausage, cut lengthwise

Marinade
2 tbs. oyster sauce
1 tbs. double dark soy sauce
1 teaspoon shiox xing wine
1 teaspoon corn starch
1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon five spice powder
1 teaspoon minced ginger

Scallions to garnish.

1. Combine ingredients for the marinade. Toss in chicken, mushrooms and chinese sausage.

2. In a claypot, combine water and rice. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to simmer and cook for 10 minutes. Put chicken, mushrooms and sausage on top.

3. Cover and bake at 350 for 20 minutes, or until chicken is done.

4. Garnish with scallions

UPDATES:

Here's a photo of the Chinese Sausage Package.
Also, I'm submitting this to April's Grow Your Own Round-Up. Founded by Andrea's Recipes, this month's round-up is being hosted by Nate-n-Annie at House of Annie. The growing season in the US may be early, but there's still lots going on.

Labels: , ,

----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Blogger T.W. Barritt at Culinary Types DATE:4/22/2009 05:18:00 AM Very exciting to see the first results from the garden! But, can you tell me what a Chinese Sausage is? I've never had one. ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Blogger ChristyACB DATE:4/22/2009 09:06:00 AM Yes, what is chinese sausage? Anything like it that I'd recognize the name of?

First garden harvest is always a milestone of celebration. For me is was raw radishes...delicious! ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Blogger Sara DATE:4/22/2009 09:10:00 AM I picked scallions from my yard last night too. A few years ago, my husband put down some seeds. Not only have the scallions regenerated every year, but they've spread too - now I find them growing outside of the garden area! ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Anonymous Anonymous DATE:4/22/2009 10:39:00 AM Julia, your food photography that you post is consistently good. So it leaves me curious whether you are taking the photos, or having your whiz-bang photograher friend take. Love, Judith_deecee@yahoo.com ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Blogger Julia DATE:4/22/2009 11:03:00 AM TW and ChristyACB -- Chinese Saugsage is a sweet pork sausage. It's also called "Lap Xuong Thuong Hang" I'll post a picture

ChristyACB - that's awesome you already have radishes. I still have a few weeks for that.

Sara --Isn't that great!

Mom -- thanks for the kind words about my photography. I think you are a bit biased though... ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Blogger melissa DATE:4/22/2009 02:24:00 PM The meal sounds soul warming and yes, a very nice start indeed. ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Blogger Reeniā™„ DATE:4/22/2009 08:25:00 PM I have a whole ton of scallions growing-I'm not sure if they survived the winter or are new growth. This is delicious-so comforting and what wonderful flavors! ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Anonymous Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) DATE:4/22/2009 08:42:00 PM First harvest! How exciting! I harvested chives and thyme for my cooking class on Saturday, a real teaser of things to come in the next couple of months. ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Blogger Heather DATE:4/22/2009 11:09:00 PM that chicken sounds amazing! fresh scallions sound delicious! ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Anonymous noble pig DATE:4/23/2009 01:23:00 PM Oh this is beautiful, I love the pot as well. ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Blogger Nate-n-Annie DATE:4/24/2009 04:10:00 AM Hi,

I would like to include your recipe in our "Grow Your Own" roundup this month! For information on how to enter, please go to

http://chezannies.blogspot.com/2009/04/hosting-april-2009-grow-your-own.html

Aloha, Nate ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Blogger Julia DATE:4/24/2009 08:36:00 AM Melissa - It's a great dish -- easy and satisfying.

Reeni -- They're a perennial, so likely they survived the winter.

Lydia -- That's great! Sadly, my thyme didn't come back this year. I think the mint strangled it.

Heather -- they're my favorite garnish!

noble pig - it's the chinatown special... I think the pot cost $5.

Nate - Thanks for the reminder! I've submitted. ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Blogger Karen DATE:4/24/2009 11:47:00 AM As my son would say, "Num, num, num!" Thanks for the recipe; it looks great and I am always looking for ways to use up Chinese sausage. I mostly put it in fried rice and lo mein, but a little sausage goes a long way and we always end up with too much.

I discovered a scallion or two lurking in the garden. I'd planted them in with the strawberries last year, and a few escaped my notice in the fall. I pulled back the leaf mulch and surprise! there they were. ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Blogger Andrea DATE:5/01/2009 06:26:00 PM That looks delicious. I've never cooked in a clay pot, so much give it a try sometime. Any pointers? Thanks for joining in Grow Your Own again! ----- --------