AUTHOR: Julia TITLE: Good Photography DATE: 4/13/2009 07:35:00 AM ----- BODY:
Even the best food stylist needs a good photographer. I am neither, but Ellen has a way of making my food look delicious.

Take for example, this plate of braised shortribs with beet puree and broccoli raab. The colors are spectacular - the electric fuchsia of the beets, the bright green raab and the contrastingly dark braised short ribs.

Can you tell which photo was taken by the professional and which was taken by me? In both cases, I cooked and plated the food.


And perhaps, when Ellen's behind the camera, I spend more time plating and less fussing with my own camera.

In the end, we decided not to add this photo to the portfolio because it still wasn't the best showcase of either of our works.

Labels: ,

----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Anonymous Anonymous DATE:4/13/2009 10:02:00 AM Julia,
I quite agree, that Ellen's photography is excellent. You are lucky to have her to capture the wonderful food you cook, and show to best advantage.
A devoted fan. ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Blogger Heather DATE:4/13/2009 10:25:00 AM wow, ellen is really talented. i've never thought about pureeing beets but now i have to. i love beets SO much. i did make a potato and beet "fritter/cake" onetime to go under some lamb and it was delicious. beets are so wonderfully tasty! ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Anonymous Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) DATE:4/13/2009 03:39:00 PM I've been struggling with my food photography for the past six months, trying to make my food look good enough to eat. It's really tough, and I so appreciate the talent of photographers who can make food look wonderful without resorting to things like painting Elmer's Glue on something to make it shine. ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Blogger Psychgrad DATE:4/13/2009 04:30:00 PM Is Ellen helping with your website? Where do the pictures go?

It certainly makes a difference. I mean, I'd eat both...but I'd pay for the first one in a restaurant. ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Blogger ChristyACB DATE:4/13/2009 04:59:00 PM Beautiful! ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Blogger Reeniā™„ DATE:4/13/2009 09:36:00 PM I can see that their both delicious! ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Blogger Marshall DATE:4/13/2009 11:30:00 PM Well, yeah, we can tell, but you did kinda give it away. Bigger light source, from back right. But of course there's more than that to it. Ellen's work does make the food look good. ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Anonymous noble pig DATE:4/14/2009 02:19:00 AM Very nice...it's all in the presentation. ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Blogger Julia DATE:4/14/2009 07:06:00 AM Mom -- Ellen really does a great job, doesn't she!

Heather -- I'm glad you were able to see that the beets were really the star! I have to be honest, they tasted fantastic (pureed with roasted onions and bacon and a scootch of olive oil)

Lydia -- I'm heartened that you struggle too. I think yours are great and strive to be able to do that on my own.

Psychgrad -- right now they're just in our portfolios, and I use them for notecards with recipes on the back. Want some? :)

ChristyACB - Thanks!

Reeni - Very diplomatic of you.

Marshall -- you're very adept at picking out the fine details (lighting) that just escape me. Thanks for visiting and I hope you see the pasta and spring mushroom recipe. I posted it for you and your chanterelle harvest!

noble pig -- I guess the lesson is that I need to be more patient with my presentations, too, when I'm taking my own pictures. ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Blogger Lori DATE:4/15/2009 02:37:00 PM The photo looks stunning. You stick to your amazing cooking- very yummy and Ellen can stick to the photography. With practice you could do some good photography too! ----- --------