AUTHOR: Julia TITLE: Swirling Wine DATE: 4/26/2009 02:44:00 PM ----- BODY:

I went to a wine dinner last week, and the French winemakers made an interesting observation. When you swirl your wine in the glass clockwise, the wine releases the fruit aromas. If you swirl counter-clockwise, earthy, corky scents fill the glass.


Have you heard or experienced this before? Do you believe it?

Labels:

----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Blogger Lori Lynn DATE:4/26/2009 04:24:00 PM Whaaat??

Gee, I was in the wine business for years, never heard of that.

Nope, I don't believe it, BUT, I am going to go pour me a glass of nice French wine right now and try it anyway! Good excuse to have a glass of wine on this Sunday afternoon :) Thanks Julia.

Did you try any noteworthy wines?
LL ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Anonymous Rose's Lime DATE:4/26/2009 08:46:00 PM Is the effect the opposite for Australian wines? ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Anonymous noble pig DATE:4/26/2009 09:15:00 PM Well since I have a degree in Viticulture & Enology and am a student of one of the greatest sensory scientists to currently live....the answer is no. Sounds like hype to me. ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Blogger Julia DATE:4/27/2009 06:36:00 AM LL - Five course of champagne -- and they were all phenomenal!

Rose's Lime -- perhaps.

noble pig -- I agree, but ...

Last night I did a blind tasting with a friend. I swirled, he sipped. And in fact, he authoritatively stated (correctly) which one was swirled counterclockwise based on the cork-ness. But still dubious of the theory. ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Blogger Heather DATE:4/27/2009 09:17:00 PM i have never heard of this - but now i will try it! ----- --------