AUTHOR: Julia TITLE: Garden Updates - Early June DATE: 6/11/2009 05:53:00 AM ----- BODY:
I harvested the first kale last week. The leaves are decently sized, but like the first cutting of most leafy greens, they were still quite tender and delicately flavored. And they cook down like spinach. But to get to the second cutting, when the leaves will have more texture and flavor, I must get through the first.

Not that the first cutting was such a hardship. I sautéed them with garlic and chile flakes in a bit of olive oil; a little salt, pepper and lemon juice at the end.

In other garden highlights, I have a few roma tomatoes. Like last year, I was able to get the tomatoes in the ground by May 1st, and avoid any damaging frosts. But unlike last year, when the tomatoes were just starting to blush in mid July, I may get tomatoes by July 4th. We’ll see, and I’ll keep you posted.


The first jalapeno poked its nose out from behind the flower. Now I know that in a pinch, I can go to the garden for a spicy kick… though I hope to wait until it matures a little further.

The beet greens are large and hardy, but still not as big as supermarket beet greens. Since I can’t dig up the beets to check their size – if I did, that would be the end of its growth – I must judge their size by the size of their leaves. I still have a few weeks to go.

Labels:

----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Blogger Reeni♥ DATE:6/11/2009 12:27:00 PM Your so lucky to have kale so soon! I bet it's just delicious! I just got my garden in last week-so it will be awhile for me. ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Anonymous Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) DATE:6/11/2009 04:24:00 PM I love that little jalapeno! It's like having an emergency stash, in case you need a bit of something hot. My own garden is desperately in need of sunshine, which has been in short supply here in RI these past couple of weeks. ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Anonymous jo DATE:6/11/2009 08:42:00 PM Seriously! You are way ahead. I am in Newton with mine in earth grow boxes and I just, JUST have little pea side tomatoes starting. I have a raised bed, but the boxes help prevent blossom end rot and fusarium wilt. The earliest I have ever plucked a tomato was July 4th weekend. Do report when you get the first one! ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Blogger Julia DATE:6/12/2009 08:52:00 AM Reeni - Well, based on my timing, you should have something in 5 weeks. I really tested my fate with the weather.

Lydia - Cambridge needs sunshine too! In fact, I think its the whole east coast.

jo - I think a lot depends on the variety. My beefsteaks are still small, too... ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Anonymous Jonny DATE:6/12/2009 10:24:00 AM definitely jealous of your kale, not to mention your cute jalapeno. We decided to grow our peppers from seed this year and due to the lack of sunshine they're all only about 8 inches high and weedy-looking still! That said, our beets are going great guns - not as well as yours, naturally, (they're in pots) - compared to last year when they were all leaf and no root. i wonder if this is the perfect weather for them? ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Blogger T.W. Barritt at Culinary Types DATE:6/14/2009 09:06:00 PM Can't wait for those beets! I took the kale I got from the CSA and blanched and froze it - it's due to go into a stir fry this week. ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Blogger Julia DATE:6/14/2009 10:12:00 PM Jonny -- I've never grown beets before, so I'm not sure what to expect from my first harvest.

T.W. -- Hopefully, I'll have enough kale that I can freeze some! Great suggestion. ----- --------