AUTHOR: Julia TITLE: Herbalicious DATE: 6/16/2009 08:31:00 AM ----- BODY:

I favor the soft herbs --- tarragon, basil, chervil, chives. On the other end of the spectrum – rosemary, sage, and oregano – the flavors tend to overpower. Too often, cooks have a heavy hand with the hard herbs, and ruin an otherwise good dish.

But back to the soft herbs… They can be mixed with lettuces for a salad or blended together for my cherished dreamy green goddess. Or, mixed with soft butter to make a compound butter.

Compound butter is versatile. I rub a few tablespoons under the skin of chicken breasts before roasting

Or finish a tomato sauce with the butter for salmon.

Or toss steamed asparagus in it.


Herb Butter
1 tbs. fresh tarragon
1 tbs. fresh chives or scallions
1 tbs. fresh parsley or chervil
1 tbs. fresh basil
1/2 tsp. fennel seeds
1 stick butter
salt and pepper to taste

1. Chop herbs and spices. Mix with butter. Season to taste with salt and pepper.


I'm submitting this recipe to the Weekend Herb Blogging #188, hosted this week by the ever-charming Graziana of Erbe in Cucina - Cooking with Herbs. This event was originally started by Kalyn of Kalyn's Kitchen, and is now organized by Haalo of Cook (almost) Anything At Least Once. For more information, see the rules, hosting schedule, and weekly recaps for WHB.

Labels: , ,

----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Blogger Lori Lynn DATE:6/16/2009 12:36:00 PM I especially like the fennel seed in the mix, adds another dimension to your herb butter, no?
LL ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Blogger T.W. Barritt at Culinary Types DATE:6/17/2009 05:07:00 PM There is something about the creaminess of butter and a combination of herbs that is so good. Even better when they are fresh from the garden. ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Blogger Melissa DATE:6/17/2009 06:28:00 PM YES! I just discovered herb butter this spring. Delicious. And I prefer the same herbs you do, for sure. I just started using tarragon in earnest a few months ago and I think it might be my favorite. ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Anonymous Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) DATE:6/18/2009 10:50:00 AM I'm growing all of your "soft" herbs in my garden. Now, if the sun ever decides to shine, I'll be able to harvest for some of this lovely compound butter. ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Blogger Julia DATE:6/18/2009 11:00:00 AM LL -- the fennel brightens the licorice flavors in the herbs.

T.W. -- Indeed! It's nice to have all the ingredients in my outdoor "pantry"

Melissa -- Yes, I recall the chicken and leek dish really shined with the tarragon.

Lydia -- I'm trying the power of positive thinking: "the sun will shine, the sun will shine" ----- --------