AUTHOR: Julia TITLE: Julia on Julie & Julia DATE: 6/29/2009 09:41:00 AM ----- BODY:
When I had my business, Interactive Cuisine, I found the best marketing came from securing press coverage. I did a pretty good job over the years and a few newspapers even referred to me as, “The Other Julia.” Since we both lived in Cambridge, my mentors coached me to work this angle.

A few years into my business, I started hearing about The Julia Project. A woman named Julie was cooking her way through Julia Child’s Mastering The Art of French Cooking, blogging about, and she was getting tons of press for it. I’ll admit it, I was a little bitter. I should have been writing that blog! And getting all the press!

Julie Powell’s book, Julie & Julia came out a few years later. I obstinately did not look at it, purchase it, much less read it. But a few months ago, when I had credit at the used book store, I decided to get over myself and read it.

I’m glad I did, because it was a fun read! Perhaps, I can appreciate it more now as a fellow food-blogger. I enjoyed the voice she created and her ability to admit to her foibles and quirks. From a cooking perspective, I appreciate the challenges of cooking classically French. I recall learning many of the recipes and techniques in culinary school, and know that they take practice. I wonder now, 17 years after I started cooking professionally, would I be able to successfully cook through Master the Art of French Cooking?

Did you read the book or follow the blog?

Labels:

----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Blogger Katie DATE:6/29/2009 12:54:00 PM I just put the book on hold at my library yesterday. I think it would be great fun to completely cook my way through a cookbook, but I would have to pick something a bit easier. I'll let you know what I think when I finish the book. ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Blogger T.W. Barritt at Culinary Types DATE:6/29/2009 03:31:00 PM The book has been sitting on my "to read" pile, and you remind me that I need to tackle it before the movie premieres. (By the way, did you ever find the Dumpling Truck when you were in Manhattan?) ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Anonymous Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) DATE:6/29/2009 06:57:00 PM I'm looking forward to the movie, because I think Meryl Streep will be a terrific Julia. But Julie? Not impressed with her book or her blog. And, honestly, not sure how I feel about her piggybacking on Julia's work. ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Blogger Julia DATE:6/30/2009 03:15:00 PM Katie -- I agree. I'm thinking I'd like to cook my way through my favorite Chinese cookbook.

T.W. -- I didn't. I ended up being too busy to seek it out. bummer.

Lydia -- Glad to hear you say that! I'll be curious to see how they weave Julia into a substantial role. ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Blogger giz DATE:6/30/2009 04:42:00 PM Hysterical - Psychgrad bought me that book for Mother's Day and I'm reading it now and can't wait for the movie that's coming out on September 7th. I'm curious to see how Meryl Streep is going to pull off being a giant. :D ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Blogger Melissa DATE:6/30/2009 07:46:00 PM I never read her blog nor did I buy the book. It's possible I will watch the movie though simply because I want to see Meryl pull it off. No doubt she will.

As for the rest, ditto what Lydia said. ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Blogger Psychgrad DATE:6/30/2009 09:40:00 PM I'm secretly hoping tht Giz finishes her book quickly and then gives it to me before the movie comes out...Does that make me a bad daughter? ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Blogger Julia DATE:6/30/2009 10:03:00 PM giz -- Glad to know you're enjoying it too! Do you think more so because you're a blogger, too?

Melissa -- I've been so impressed with Meryl's range, I'm sure she can! Especially after her Devil.

Psychgrad -- I can send you my copy. I believe I owe you a random act... (post coming tomorrow) ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Anonymous Anonymous DATE:7/01/2009 10:35:00 AM hey Julia-

This is Jay from the previous place you worked :)

Just saying hi, I've been checking out your blog, good stuff, thanks for the good info!

I'm moving down to Austin in August- know anyone there?!

Hope all is well, write me an email!! ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Blogger Julia DATE:7/01/2009 11:59:00 AM Hey Jay,

Great to hear from you! I'd send you an email, but I don't have your address.

Hope to stay in touch.

Cheers, ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Blogger Maris DATE:7/02/2009 01:36:00 PM I must read this before I see the movie. I always like books better if I read before I watch on the big screen.

I hope this doesn't convince everyone and their grandmother to start a food blog though. There is nothing better than a truly authentic blog! ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Blogger Lori Lynn DATE:7/04/2009 01:19:00 PM I read the book, Julie irritated me I'm sorry to say, but I'm really looking to seeing Meryl Streep in the movie! Oscar???
LL ----- --------